Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I'm White

Hokay, so, I have been noticing recently (and by recently, I mean the last 4 years of my life) how very white I am. WASP, actually. At any rate, there are a lot of white people in this country. Approximately 75% of the population is white. But I am whiter than many. A lot of white people identify with some sort of cultural history. Some white people are Jewish. Others are Irish. Many are German, Polish and even an Eastern European brand of white. Not me, though. I'm just... white. No strong cultural identifiers. No ancient messianic religions (besides Christianity, which actually isn't that ancient in comparison to Judaism. Plus, my family lineage isn't even speckled with Christianity. It's mostly just my immediate family). Just plain old WASP-y white. I'm okay with that for the most part except that now, I can't hold certain professions. Since I'm not black or Jewish or an alcoholic or addicted to drugs (What does that have to do with anything?), I can't be a comedian. I'm not rich (or Jewish), so I can't be a record producer. I'm not poor (or black) either, so I can't be a civil rights leader. Gosh darn. Since when did being white have so many limitations? I wonder what else I can think of that being white limits me from doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment